11 February 2006

More like, BelSLOW

A lot needs to be accomplished with this post, so sit back and relax. I'll also throw in some extra London pics to keep you interested. So....

Last Friday, we took a trip to Belfast for the day. We took a bus tour of the huge murals all over the city, and then went up to the Parliament to meet with some MPs. Although it's not nearly the dangerous place it once was, the memory of the troubles is painted up and down every street in Belfast with gigantic murals that cover the sides of buildings and homes. The images mostly involve a heroic figure from whosever side painted it, and that figure pointing a GIANT GUN towards the "camera." There was a lot of traffic in Belfast, to which Karen made the obvious joke, "Belfast? More like, BelSLOW." Good one, Karen.

After the bus tour, we went to Parliament, took a tour, and met with a member from each of the head opposing parties, Sin Fein and the DUP. These guys were amazing politicians, had nothing bad to say about the other party, but wouldn't sit in the same room with each other. Discussed their hopes for a resolved Northern Ireland Question, but wouldn't even consider a compromise. I don't think anything will be accomplished their for quite some time, and neither does anyone else. The tour guide DID inform us that the whole building was covered in cow shit during WW2 do disguise it from fighter jets.

















The morning I flew home from London, I was so amazingly tired and disoriented that I was essentially sleep-walking off the plane, so I didn't have a clue as to what was happening when I walked through the wrong booth at immigration and got yelled at for not having an EU passport. I'm pretty sure "Sir, you're making a scene" was said a few times. Goo Evan.














After I got home (thank god they even let me back in), we took a trip to Kilmainham Gaol (Jail), where many of the leaders of the Easter Rising were held and killed. A few scenes from Michael Collins were shot there also, which we watched in class the next day. On every wall where the tour passed through, there was stuff carved like "Mike wuz here" and "Annie luvz Bobby 03." I just don't get the point of that. Are they planning on coming back in 10 years and pointing at it and saying, "Look Honey, here I wuz, and here I am"? I'll never understand.














Wednesday, all the regular DCU students finally got back on campus (this week is called SHAG week, Sexual Health Awareness.....G-something), so Megan and I took the hip-hop class we'd been waiting for for 4 weeks! It was cool. The teacher taught kind of slow but the routine was good. She also gave us the name of a studio in town where she takes class that she said we would really like. The music was all USHER and ASHANTI, go figure.

Last week, a small group of Americans moved in to our apartment complex, and everyone was so excited, "oOoh, Americans!" Uhh, hi, WE'RE Americans. Anyway, Karen and some of the girls went over to be friendly and party with them, and they BROUGHT SOLO CUPS with them, in their suitcases, so they could play beer pong as soon as they got here. One of them also brought his XBOX. Are you kidding? XBOX? Everyone was kind of turned off by them after that, but I was turned off IMMENSELY. Let them play beer pong and play XBOX all day. I'm gonna go hang out with some Irish people.














This weekend marks 1 month that I've been in Ireland, and I can't believe how quickly it's going. 2 weeks of class left, then Spring Break, then Internships begin. My parents just booked a weekend visit for March 9-13, and after that, only 6 weeks left! Time.does.NOT.go.by.so.slowly, you queen of pop liar.

Finally, I went to the supermarket today and was perplexed at some of the items I saw. "Funny Fish?" "Economy Beef?" Sounds like a disaster to me, but hey, maybe they're on the menu at this place >>>>>













Peace out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha - i LOVEEEEEEEE your blog! so cute. so fun! i love you! :)
- venus

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home