02 February 2006

Recap: January

So we have been in Dublin for 3 weeks now, and it's flying by amazingly fast. Before I leave for the long weekend, and we kick off the second half of classes, I wanted to post some of the things that have not made it into the blog yet, purely for spacial reasons.

First off, there is no Mountain Dew here. It does not exist on this island. And in the words of my friend Will, "Why would you go to a place like that?" It's ok, Will, I'm getting by. They DO have my other favorite beverage, thankfully, Snapple Iced Tea with Lemon. The label is rediculous. There is a picture of a gigantic personified lemon, frolicking in a field of 4-leaf clovers, saying "Shake Me Baby!" They call it "Lucky Lemon Iced Tea" and the slogan reads, "At Snapple, We Get Lucky." Perverts.

Also, I am amazed at how committed to conservation they are here. Obviously, Europe is known for small cars, diesel engines, etc., but did you know that grocery bags are not free? Neither are ketchup packets. Gum is hard to come by, and you see less of it on the sidewalk, not to mention a lack of litter in general. A LARGE soda at a fast food place is about the size of our SMALL, and sales tax is non-existent. What you see is what you pay. Speaking of money, the paper notes are of different sizes in relation to amount, which seems smart to me. As Karen asked, "How do blind people in America do money?" Hopefully with checks and credit cards.

Anyway....here are some pictures that I haven't had room for until now.















First off, as soon as you leave the city, there are sheep everywhere. I tried to remember a time when I met one up close, but I couldn't recall any. So this was exiciting.















That day I got to push the button at the Guinness factory, I wasn't kidding about it being a big deal.
















At the Gravity Bar on top of the storehouse, when they serve you your complimentary pint, they draw a shamrock into the head, and it stays because it's so damn thick.















This picture of the outside of the distillery reminded Karen of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it reminded Me of something a little more Dickens. Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
















Finally, this was just a nice one of me, Karen, and Steve that I neglected to post originally. So, January has been quite a month. Before I left, everyone kept asking me if I was nervous, and my response was always that I wouldn't know until I got here. Well, here we are. Classes are going well, had a few quizzes, and 2 papers are due by the 13th. Some traveling scheduled for February. Some visitors coming in March. Antsy for my internship. Oh, and I really don't like it when people use my things.

Peace out---be back Monday

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan,
We are on vacation in Florida for the month of February and your Dad told us about your Blog. So here we are reading about your adventures in Ireland and laughing our heads off. Not only are you a very interesting and descriptive writer, but you are funny. We are glad you are taking it all in and having a good time.
Love,
Uncle Arnie and Aunt Lauretta

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home