02 March 2006

Spring Break Part 1: Madrid

Spring Break began last Thursday, right after my last final exam. I know what you're thinking, "finals? in February?" Well, you'll just have to take my word for it that this is how this pretend semester works. So, Karen and I wasted no time, and went straight from our exam to the airport, where the strap on my duffle bag broke. Lucky for me, I don't believe in omens, and this was the only bad thing that happened all week. So we were off!















Upon landing in Madrid, I realized that this was the first time I would be traveling outside the English-speaking world. I wondered if I would run into any communication troubles, but it turns out I underestimated my own knowledge of the Spanish language. My 4 years of high-school training kicked in to full gear, as well as 3 years with the guys in the kitchen at A Tavola, and we were in full Spanish mode.

We checked into our hotel around dinner time, and met my friends Randi and Vanessa for tapas. I know Randi and Vanessa from Boston, and they are studying in Madrid for the semester, but live with Spanish families, rather than dorms or student apartments. Their fluency in the language far exceeded my own, and I was so impressed by their conversation skills.














After dinner, we went to a cave bar, which, if you haven't figured out yet, is a bar in a cave. Every drink in the cave bar comes out of a stalactite in the ceiling and comes with a dozen straws. They really like sharing at the Cave Bar.

Friday, we started our day at the Prado museum, and I got to see close-up what I had studied in my junior year Spanish class: Valazquez, Goya, el Greco. Great Spanish artists, who all loved Jesus. When not painting the monarch and his family (as we see here in Valazquez's most famous work), they were painting Jesus and his friends. I particularly like the paintings that are larger than my house. You can't help but be awestruck when art is that big.















We had lunch in Plaza Mayor and walked to the Palacio Real. I'm always impressed by royalty and their houses and lifestyle, partly because we have nothing like it in the US, but mostly because I plan on living the same way when I'm older. That's right.




























We had cocktails at this salsa bar, before going to this incredible jazz club Friday night. By far, the highlight of our stay in the city, Randi took us to Populares, a jazz bar tucked away down this side street near Plaza del Sol. The quartet that played was amazing, and I've never seen anyone play the harmonica like this guy did. And Randi introduced us to Clara, beer mixed with lemonade. So sweet, you could definitely get into trouble with that. We ended the night at a flamenco club where, although there was no actual show, the crowd provided one that was probably just as good.














The food in Madrid was delicious, as was the sangria, so a round of applause to Randi for planning excellent outings for us. One observation, however, don't ask people in Spain to take pictures of you in front of things. It's ridiculous really, but every time we asked someone to take a picture, it was just terrible. There was no weight, no center, no alignment. You win some and lose some I guess. Needless to say, you won't see any of those pictures here.














Saturday, we relaxed and did some shopping up on Gran Via, and then met Randi at el Teatro Real to get tickets for the Opera. What was playing: L 'elisir d amore (The Love Potion). An Italian Opera with Spanish translation on the screen, but I stayed with it. This was my first opera, and I enjoyed the experience. You might think that only in an exageration does an entire theatre actually erupt into shouts of "BRAVA!" from every balcony, but I assure you, I witnessed it first hand.














After the opera, we went to a club called Palacio, which actually used to be a palace. The music was really good, and the atmosphere was cool, but I kept being hit by the giant swinging purses of every Spanish girl in the club. Leave 'em home, girls, no one likes them.















When we left the club, which was filled mostly with people in costume for CARNIVAL, it began to snow. SNOW! In Spain. On Spring Break.















Sunday, Karen and I returned for the last time to the cafe that had become "our place" for breakfast, and the waitress knew our order by heart. >So good to me< I'm sorry to admit this, but I have become a drinker of tea. Nothing out of hand, but since I will never drink coffee, ever, I figured it was time to find a morning warmer-upper. Sorry, dad. I know what you think of "tea-people," but keep in mind how I feel about you "coffee-people."















After breakfast, we went to the Reina Sofia, where Picasso's Guernica is on display, and then walked around the city, until it was time to say goodbye to Randi and Madrid. We headed for the train station, and prepared for our over-night journey to our second destination......Americans traveling around Europe on trains....isn't that unique!?!? Aside from some cabin fever in the form of severe nausea (14 F%$King hours laying down + going sideways!), the train was pleasant enough. If anything, it was nice just to say I did it.















Reflections on Madrid: Everyone was so intensely friendly, and I loved every minute of speaking Spanish with people. I sometimes wish I had stayed with it in college, but then I realize that reading classical Spanish literature is much more difficult than practicing conversational style? On average, the population was too good looking for their own good, but I have no complaints with that aspect. I will definitely visit again, but I look forward to seeing other parts of Spain as well.

As for PARt 2, that will have to wait a few days. I'm tired.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my darling evan so happy you enjoyed my country. we should play in europe together haha miss you xoxo.

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home