27 March 2006

What Type of Bagel Am I?

The Helix was aBUZ all week. The cast of the soon-to-be-shot-in-Dublin 'Becoming Jane' has been using our space for rehearsals and read-thrus, so instead of just seeing the usual office folks at lunch, Anne Hathaway and Maggie Smith were there too. I didn't introduce myself or anything, because then I'd be "that person." I prefer to rise above that and just see them and smile and go on my pretend-Irish way.

It's been a long time since I had a weekend in Dublin without visitors. I actually mean just 5 weeks, but the point is that while mostly everyone I know here went to Galway for the weekend, I looked forward to just relaxing in Dublin, and having some time to myself.

I don't think people value time by themselves as much as they should. Granted, it depends on the personality, but sometimes it's just nice flying solo. I personally enjoy seeing movies by myself, but it's not for everyone. So Friday night I walked down to the movie theatre to see V for Vendetta which was F for Fucking Awesome! (Even I know that's unoriginal, but come on) Upon buying my ticket, I was asked if I wanted front or back (EXCUSE ME?!?!) She meant where I wanted to sit....There were assigned seats, for a movie. This was the first time I had ever encountered such a thing, and I did NOT like it.

I walked into the theatre, where an usher greeted me and showed me to my seat (A7), which was in the very back row (guess my answer HAHA) of a completely empty theatre. A few minutes later, another couple walked in and was seated directly to my right. And soon after, a second couple was seated directly to my left. There we were, the 5 of us, all in a row, at the back of an empty theatre. Surely someone was kidding. A few more people trickled in, and when the previews started I got up and went up a few rows so I could put my feet up. I half expected the usher to come over to me and make me go back to the crowded mono-row. Stuff like that really strikes me as funny though. Perhaps if they were anticipating it selling out, I could see the reason. But no. Just a dozen people, all sitting shoulder to shoulder, looking out across the empty theatre in front of them. Talk about an evening alone.

Saturday, Kathleen and I went to Bewley's Cafe Theatre, where my friend Eric is doing his internship, to see 'The End of the Beginning.' My Irish Media professor had recently explained to us that all Irish sitcoms are imported from the US and UK for the simple reason that the Irish can't do comedy. I doubted him before, and now I doubt him even less. While the show was superbly acted and very funny, it was physical humor that was only funny because it was ridiculous, and it had to really be forced to get the humor across. While I did really enjoy myself, I can see where my professor was coming from, as it's not the type of comedy I typically go for.

After the play, we met up with Kara and her friends from London, people who I sort-of knew around Boston, but now know much better. We went to MessRs and talked about concerts, which got me well prepped for Sunday night. The highlight of the weekend came, however, when I found one of only three places in Dublin, according to Linda from work, that sells Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I bought 4 of them and ate them right there....and it was 4 times as worth it.

At 2am, Ireland sprang ahead, and entered daylight savings time one week before the rest of the world. Just for fun. We like to get a heads up I guess. So for the following week I'll be 6 hours ahead, instead of the usual 5. It gets even weirder when you find out that when we all woke up on Sunday, it was Mother's Day here. True Story.

I went into town Sunday night to meet Emma at Whelans, Dublin's version of The Cutting Room (see life: summer 05). Nice place, bar up front, intimate live venue in the back. 3 acts on the bill, the second of which was Emma's friend Jane, a really uniqe singer/songwriter that reminded me a lot of Jackie, honestly. And the evening as a whole was great, because I hadn't been to a club show in.....months! It was perfect, all that was missing was Beth.

The first act was this extremely nervous, extremely skinny guy who sang songs about his ex-girlfriend who he hated.
Choice Lyric: "I don't care what you say. Everyone is just like you. Bitch bitch bitch bitch." I'm sure she's a lovely girl, though.

The headliner was a guy named Rory Grubb and he was Phenominal! He's got the one-man-band thing down to a science. On stage was him, his guitar, an upside down bicycle, and a few little sticks and cups and stuff. He used his mini-disk recorder to record all kinds of sounds using all that stuff, and looped it, over and over again, so it sounded like he had full back up. THEN he sang, and it was AMAZING.

Rory's vocals and lyrics were strong, but he threw in some comedy as well. Near the end of the set, he took out a bagel, and asked the crowd, "So is it me, or has anyone else noticed all the bagel shops opening up in Dublin recently?" Oh, you mean all 4 of them? You must never have been to New Jersey. Anyway, he followed it with a light-hearted sing-along simply titled, 'The Bagel Song,' that won me over big time.
Choice Lyric: "There are 15 types of bagels, for every type of man. I'm just trying to figure out, what kind of bagel I am."
A great philosophical ponderation (look it up), and yet, I know the answer hands down: Pumpernickel.

With that, I'll leave you with some fun bagel facts from Wikipedia: "A related bread product is a bialy, which has no hole, is often onion or garlic-flavored, and is less crispy on the outside. Though often made with sugar, malt syrup, or honey, bagels should not be confused with doughnuts (donuts)."

No pictures right now, but check back for some mid-week photo fun.

Oh yea, and if you're the generous type, my brother is riding in the Aids Life Cycle in June, 600 miles on bike from SF to LA over 5 days, to raise money for HIV/AIDS research and services. It's an amazing task, and an even more amazing cause. So if you feel like getting on board with that, or just want more information, or just want to look at my dashingly handsome brother, head over to www.aidslifecycle.org/6611.

PEACE OUT.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From your "poppy seed" uncle: I'm glad your having such a great time. We will miss you at the seder table this week.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home