11 April 2006

Stop Messin With That Pirate Head Gear

The last week flew by, while at the same time being filled to the brim with things that just kept flying at me. It's always that way though, isn't it?

Monday night, a few of us from media class went to a taping of a late-night questions and answers style news show in Ireland called, strangely enough, 'Questions and Answers'. The scary part was that, before you go into the studio, the producers ask you to write down questions you would like to ask the panelists, and it's a room full of students and other young people, dressed the way young people dress. THEN, right before the show starts, 5 old guys in suits enter the audience, and just guess who gets to ask the pre-decided questions. For a show that's supposed to allow the people to be heard, the people get seriously jipped.














Tuesday night was opening night of The Walworth Farce at the theatre I intern at. All our work had been leading up to it, and my name (+ 1) was on the guest list, so I brought Kathleen.














The show was phenominal, and I'm so glad I got to see it, because I read the script a few weeks ago and it made no sense, but visually it all comes together. It's a shame it will probably never get to America, because it was a great piece of drama, but an excellent learning tool for acting, since it's a story within a story, and the actors kept switching back and forth at speeds you can't even fathom.














My job for the night was to mingle with all the invited guests/celebrities, but I didn't know who any of them were, since they're all Irish. So of course I was introduced to the one reviewer from the NY Times and we talk about home.

Wednesday and Thursday I spent most of the days/nights working on my internship project, which involved a comparison and analysis of marketing the arts VS marketing in general, and a case study of The Walworth Farce.

ALL THIS, while also finding a few nice internships for the summer, but more on that later, when it's a tad more set in stone.

Friday night, some of us went to the Market Bar, which was one of the best bars I've been to in Dublin. Market Bar is inside a huge old warehouse, so it's got high ceilings and lots of places to echo. If every bar has a gimmick, Market Bar's is that it plays no music. But when it's full, and everyone's voice is bouncing off all the walls, it creates this amazing sound. We saw some cool drummers in an alley too, that's always nice.















We saw a wedding on Saturday. I liked the car a lot. No cans on the back though.














I also found out this week that I HAVE TO fill out the Irish 5-year census, even though I leave the country 2 days later. If I don't, there's supposedly a 50 zillion euro fine, but I think I mess things up more by filling it out. Because of our apartment style living, I would be the head of my household, with Sara, my wife, and our two children, Diane and Graham. We make a combined annual income of 16 college credits (in Euros, of course, so it's more like 13.2), we don't have a home telephone line, and my son is older than me. If they actually counted it that way, which they will, we would be eligible for food stamps and child services would come for my 21 year old Asian children.

Here's some more fun facts about the Irish census. There are 3 ethnicity choices: White, Black, Asian. Also, 'Jewish' is NOT listed under choices for religion.

Sunday I scheduled classes for September in Boston. 5 months out. Crazy. Sunday night, some of us went to a pub around the corner, and just because, I decided that day to wear a grey bandana. Anyone who lived with me in Warren knows I occasionally just put it on, because I want to, and wear it around wherever. On our way to the pub, I joked that I hoped no one shanked me...talk about knowing your surroundings. Inside the pub, an older man yelled at me for being a pirate, and for bringing my pirate head gear into his pub, and for not knowing what it was like in Ireland in the time of the pirates. I swear, some people are so lucky I don't know how to throw a punch.

Yesterday, I called Beth on the phone and surprised her, because I missed the sound of her voice. Here's a nice one of us for old time's sake.















Everything wrapped up nicely today, when I snagged up a sweet pair of tickets to see Madonna in Atlantic City with Britt (I sound calm now, but I was shaking and sweating for most of the day in anticipation of the "NOT ON SALE" turning into "FIND TICKETS" with every Refresh of the page). Ticketmaster blows, by the way.














Tonight I got to hear Jane's band for a third time, with the added bonus of hearing Emma's band as well....The Worthwhile Experience....and oh was it ever! Emma's band is a full on big-band, mixing ska with rock and jazz and a nice serving of James Brown Funk. She was fantastic. But her lead singer is an Elton John wannabe, a total ham. Big personality, big costumes. Lot's of fun.




























I like Emma's style of singing...mic in one hand, beer in the other. That's the sweet life. I'll leave it there for now. Back in a few.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you could've given the old geezer a mean kick!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im so stoked i know the vast majority of the places you mentioned and trhe picture of emma = amazing.....her and i share the same vocal style.

Matt

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Irish census form omits box for Jews


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MICHAEL FREUND, THE JERUSALEM POST Apr. 13, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ireland's Jewish community is expressing dismay after learning that the country's upcoming census will not include a distinct category for Jews in the section concerning religious identity.

The forms to be used in the census, to take place on April 23, include a question that asks, "What is your religion?," which is followed by seven boxes that respondents may check to indicate their reply.

These include Roman Catholic, Methodist and Muslim, but not Jewish.

Instead, those wishing to identify themselves as Jews will have to register their religion as part of the "other" category.

In a telephone interview from Dublin, Brian King, a statistician and spokesman for the Irish Central Statistics Office (CSO), told The Jerusalem Post that, "The CSO doesn't mean to cause offense or confusion among the Jewish community."

King cited practical reasons for not including a separate "tick box" for Jews, including the community's small size and that other religious groups are not listed either due to space considerations.

Ireland's Jewish community numbers just 1,790, according to the 2002 census, or less than 1 percent of the population. Previous census forms included a separate category for Jews, but it was dropped in 2002.

"The reason it isn't there is solely due to the frequency," King said. "We are constrained by space, but people still have the option to write down their religion in the box."

Nevertheless, Ireland's Jews feel slighted. "It's a pity and unhelpful that the Central Statistics Office didn't include a category," Carl Nelkin, vice chairman of the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland, told the UK Jewish Telegraph.

Nelkin noted that when filling out the form, people might be less inclined to go to the trouble of writing in "Jewish‚" thereby resulting in an under count. "If there was a specific category, it would help," he said.

Irish Chief Rabbi Ya'acov Pearlman told the Post Tuesday by phone that "it would be nice to have a box to be ticked off for Jewish people and to be recognized that we are a community here."

However, he said, the community is indeed small, "so it is understandable" that no separate category for Jews was included on the forms.
"I am sure there was no anti-Semitic intent" behind the decision, he added.

At its peak in the late 1940s, Ireland's Jews numbered approximately 5,500, but emigration and other factors resulted in the community's decline.
But due to robust economic growth over the past decade, Ireland experienced a surge in immigration, leading many to believe that this year's census may reveal an increase in the Jewish population.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats me behind andy in the picture of him with the megaphone............. YES.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home